#RPGaDay -- Orientation Week edition!


Here we are again with another installment of RPGaDay 2016! This week has been orientation week at school, so lots of meetings and prep for the next semester going on. Let's pick up where we left off, shall we?

15th: Your best source of inspiration for RPGs?
My players, always. I mean, that sounds kinda cheesy, but I'm very much a player-driven GM. I don't come up with a story I want to tell until my players do. I figure out storylines over time based on their choices and backgrounds. I mean, I watch movies and read books and stuff like anyone, but I don't tend to set up a story or anything. A huge part of my enjoyment in something comes from the people I'm with, so that's what matters first to me.

16th: Historical Person you'd like in your group? What game? 
Oh, this is such a weird question. Um, I'll reveal my 18th-century geekitude and suggest Jane Austen playing Monsterhearts.

17th: What fictional character would best fit in your group?
Um... I'm not sure how to answer this question. Um, Felicity from Arrow? She seems the gamer type.

18th: What innovation could RPG groups benefit most from? 
Cheap effective teleportation. Online games are better than nothing and way better than they used to be, but face-to-face is still the best way to play. The ability to get people together across distances without involving long road trips/airfare would be the best thing.

19th: Best way to learn a new game?
Play it. Nothing else comes close.

20th: Most challenging but rewarding system you've learned? 
Wow. I've learned a lot of systems over the years, frankly. Hmm. FATE in terms of getting me to GM again. Storyteller in terms of the amount of freelance work it's gotten me (and, you know, meeting the current husband). D&D 3/3.5 in terms of the career jump it gave me.

21st: Funniest misinterpretation of a rule in your group?
Er... I got nothin' here.

22nd: Supposedly random game events that keep recurring?
What even does this mean? I don't get it. Next.

23rd: Share one of your best "worst luck" stories.
Hmm. I think that's probably when my character got run over accidentally by another character. There will be words had when we pick up again. Tori (black lesbian welder/artist parkour-hobbyist) does not forgive shit like being run over easily.

24th: What is the game you are most likely to give to others?
Well, taking Tragedy in Five Acts out of the equation, as it's mine, I'd likely say Dresden Files Accelerated once it comes out. Alternatively, Fate Core/Fate Accelerated.

25th: What makes for a good character? 
Personality. Viewpoint. Story. Investment. I get the most fun out of rounded characters who make choices based on their own flawed perceptions, goals, and quirks. I want to see character arcs and see that story -- not an overarching epic, but a personal story in a potentially weird setting. I can play a bee and pretzels game where you magic missile the darkness, but it won't hold my interest very long. I'm too much of the narrative/theater school for that.

And we're caught up! Tune in next week for our final installment -- same bat time, same bat channel!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timewatch: Session Five

Timewatch, Session Four.

Timewatch: Session Six!